Built in 1895 and located on Highway 2 northeast of Bernice in the Weldon Community, the Alabama Methodist Church was active until 1950. The orginal pews and
pulpit are in excellent condition, strong and
sturdy. Since it was put on the National Registry it has been maintained and is in good condition. It has an adjacent cemetery that has been used for many years by the congregation and the Baptist church is just up the hill. Recently, the church has been used for weddings.
The Balwin House is off Highway 167 South about two miles south of Bernice. It was built by the Baldwin
family in the early 1900s. It has two main rooms (a front room and a kitchen) and a smaller side room, used for the children in the family. It now belongs
to Jack and Winnie Baldwin. Jack's
mother and aunt have quilted many quilts in the Baldwin House. The Baldwins currently use it
as as bed and breakfast.
4th Street & Railroad Avenue
The Bernice Depot was built when the Rock Island Railroad was routed through the town. It was
bought and restored by Corney Creek Pork Festival, donated
to the town, and the block was made into a park. A
caboose was later purchased and placed on the rails that remained at the
depot. The caboose now houses a collection of antique children's toys.
4th & Cedar Streets, National Register
Built in 1938 by the
Bernice Civic Club, this rustic lodge-style National Register building
continues to serve as a meeting palce for
local functions, meetings, and other activities. It is currenty
operated by the Bernice Service Club.
Queen Ann Style, National Register
The Garland House was owned
by Dr. Garland for many years. In 1957, Mrs. Loy Reeder bought
the house and furnished it in period furniture. Mrs. Reeder is
an avid rose gardener and keeps two rose beds on the property.
Greek, National Register
This 1904 white, two-story
Colonial Revival home was built for Joseph W. Heard by J.T. Crews,
contractor and first mayor of Bernice. Heard, who was the brother of
Governor William Wright Heard, moved to Bernice from Old Shiloh and
established a merchantile business. His daughter, Margie, and her
hushand, Dr. M.W. Laurence, Sr., lived here for many years. In 1991,
Minor Patton and his wife Lana purchased and restored the home.
Sweet Onion House
The Sweet Onion was built in
Mrs. Twyla Moore's father and has remained in the family ever since. Mrs.
Moore lived there until she constructed a home down the road. Her
grandaughter and husband, Leroy and Becky Stensil, purchased and restored
it. They have much of the furniture
from the original home. They
also have a barn that dates back to the original house.
Warehouse No. 1
Corner Holly & 3rd Streets
Originally built as a cotton
warehouse and later used for storage of surplus government cotton and
wheat, this early 20th century building is being renovated as a civic
center. It is owned by Bernice Storage and Warehouse, leased to the
town of Bernice and administered by Bernice Industrial Development